Friday, January 08, 2010

Admirable Mom Traits: Forestalling Public Tantrum with Simulated Enthusiasm, Plus Bonus Odd Comment

Most of my favourite mom-traits are the various methods of forestalling tantrums. Here's one I witnessed in the supermarket today.
TODDLER IN SHOPPING CART: Those! Those!

MOM: Honey, they're popsicles.

TODDLER: Those!

MOM: Gasp, look! Neapolitan icecream!

TODDLER: Those.

MOM: I love Neapolitan icecream, we haven't had it in SO LONG!

TODDLER: NEAPOPITAN! NEAPOPITAN!

MOM: Neapolitan ICECREAM! Let's...oh, no, this isn't...it's something else...

TODDLER: NEAPOPITAN!

MOM: Gasp! Look! STRAWBERRY!
Bonus comment overheard in Tim Horton's during lunch:
Hey Joe, have you seen that movie, "Zeitgeist?" You should really...huh? It's Z-E-I... It's an American movie. I don't know why it's got a German name.
Edited: additional mom/child interaction overheard yesterday in crowded checkout line:
CHILD: Mom!

MOTHER: Stop it.

CHILD: Mom, don't hit me!

MOTHER: I'm not hitting you!

CHILD: Mom, don't hit me in the face!

MOTHER: Daniel! When have I ever hit you in the face!

No comments: