Wednesday, September 02, 2009

YouTube Jumpcuts

Almost all the amateur YouTube videos you see -- especially the "I'm just talkin' about stuff" ones -- are edited together with frequent, clumsy jumpcuts.



It's obvious that most of the footage has been chopped out in post production, leaving little "islands" of content all spliced together.

I'm tempted to think that this is because most of what was filmed was bad: the person just blathered away with no rehearsal, then cut out all the mistakes, dead ends, and boring stuff.

But now I see it so frequently that I wonder...is it done on purpose?

I wonder: did this start as an aspect of crappy performance and editing, then become a "technique?" Or does this happen on TV nowadays, and are these people imitating that style? Is it some kind of cool hyperactive thing, a way of keeping your attention, a removal of every single pause?

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Whoa, yeah, there couldn't have been that many "bloopers" where she'd need to edit them out. It looks like it's the cool thing now, editing-wise. It's "edgy" I guess.
I have seen this technique all over t.v., especially when people have been interviewed but you don't see the clips of the interviewer any longer, you just see a choppy melange of responses from the interviewee.

Adam Thornton said...

Aha, that's what I thought...either YouTube directors absorbed the technique from television, or it's a symbiotic relationship.

I rue the day when a cheap plugin allows YouTube videos to look wobbly and hand-held!