Saturday, October 11, 2008

Recent Neglect of Blog

Since you asked (Kimber!) and since I can score more points with an actual blog ENTRY as opposed to just a COMMENT, let me explain why I haven't been blogging recently.

First off, everything that I'm doing is a "coming up" thing; I have plenty of projects and plans on the go, but I've learned not to talk about those things until they actually happen. As soon as I write about them they appear mundane or flawed. It's sometimes just best to keep yourself idealistic.

The MAIN issue, however, is that my blogging routine has been disrupted.

I used to write entries early in the morning -- before going to work -- and sometimes in the evenings. But since my cat is now eating soft food, enough of my morning routine has been taken up by washing her food dish, scraping out new food, and storing the scraps she hasn't eaten. That alone has edged "blogging" (and "reading the New Yorker") temporarily off my morning schedule.

It doesn't help that, ever since she got sick last month, she spends every moment possible on my lap. It isn't easy to type with a cat on your lap. Currently my left wrist is under her chin and my right one is bent out around her back.

Then, I've been spending a few hours each night digitizing, cataloging, and burning old master tapes of music...those tapes won't last forever, and the ancient 4-track recorder will someday break down. Before that happens I want to get everything of interest off those tapes and onto CD.

So rather than sit down and write an entry at night, I'm sitting down and dumping old sound experiments from 1994 onto my computer. When I'm done that I hardly feel like sitting anymore, so I get up and do other things. No blogging!

But this kind of thing happens now and then and I always come around. I'll find ways of rearranging my schedule and I'll get back on track. So keep checking the blog...it's not dead!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright, I didn't know you were blogging less. Tell me you were wondering where I disappeared. :)

In brief, left current job, went for a longish holiday and finally started using google newsreader - that in itself discourages commenting since it doesnot support commenting plus it makes you consume more blogs but all of them passively. :)

Adam Thornton said...

I was VERY curious about your disappearance, but too proud to ask. :)

Where was your holiday?

And somehow I don't picture you as a passive blog reader.

Anonymous said...

Surf, sand and beach baby!

somehow I don't picture you as a passive blog

Grin. I will take that as a compliment. I subscribed to a whole bunch of earnest programming blogs and stuff. And since I really don't care one way or the other about the persons involved and am only interested in consuming the blogs for ideas and stuff, it becomes easy to get into a read and forget mode.

Adam Thornton said...

That makes sense!

Kimber said...

Phew, glad to hear the Muffyglob is still alive and well!