Sunday, February 01, 2009

UPhold Update: "Humpback 44"

One of the first things I did when I got my old eMac and my lite version of Logic Audio 6 was attempt to cover one of my favourite songs: "Forty-Four No More" by The Residents. It was going pretty well, but eventually I had to conceed that I lacked the processing power (and the voice) to really do it justice.

The song sat around for a few years while I worked on other things, and then suddenly -- on May 14, 2008, to be exact -- I decided to eviscerate it. I slowed it down, removed everything except the rhythm track, and turned it into a workout for my new ESQ-1 and old Akai sampler.

I've finally polished it up, and you can download and listen to it here: "Humpback 44 (Parts 1 and 2)."

When I got my NEW editing system I swore that I'd abandon this "recorded at the bottom of a swamp" production style, but I'm afraid I really, really like it. I love piling melodies and sources upon each other and washing them in so much reverb that they become little more than a huge undifferentiated sludge. Maybe I shouldn't write it off quite yet.

Incidentally, I have a few more of these long forgotten projects that have yet to be rescued from the old eMac, many of them dating back to spring 2004. The problem is that they all rely heavily on plug-ins from "Pluggo" and "Mode" which I'm not willing to purchase for a second time. As a result -- like "Humpback 44" -- they'll all ultimately sound very different from what I'm working on now.

PS: The new CD, "Roade," is ready to go. Tomorrow's the day for printing the covers. There's still a bit of work to be done on the label/distribution side, but that stuff's comparatively easy for me.

2 comments:

Kimber said...

Hey, I didn't know you made your own music. I remember some of your stuff on Frequent Mutilations on CKMS. Very cool! Good luck with the CD!

Anonymous said...

tauba tera jalwa. tauba tera pyar. tera emotional atyachar. :)

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/fwXmzJewjS.As1NMvHdW

More goodies
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/hindi_bollywood/i/