Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Clickety-Clack Face (The Product of Nervous Tension)


How do you freak out a secretary? Tell her that her typewriter is making her UGLY!
Have you that work-weary look...that clickety-clack expression so often worn by stenographers who operate rackety typewriters?

"Stenographer Face" has already had scientific recognition. Industrial health investigators have found that typists are afflicted with ill health more often than any other class of office workers.

For it is typewriter clatter that compels office managers to segregate typists into poorly ventilated rooms...typewriter clatter that draws telltale crow's-feet on lovely complexions and steals away the bloom of youth.

In place of that hammer-blow typewriter you are now using, you are entitled to a "piano" touch REMINGTON NOISELESS. The same 4-row standard keyboard you have already used, but a lighter touch, enabling you to do better work, faster...with less effort and...NO NOISE.

Typewriter racket is no pleasanter to your office manager than to you. Tell him you want a REMINGTON NOISELESS Machine and he will help you get it, in the interest of the business as well as in kindness to you.
See, scientists ALREADY recognize "Stenographer Face" as a genuine affliction! Errr, or rather, stenographers tend to get ill more than other office workers. By some degree. For some reason. Must be because of..."STENOGRAPHER FACE!"

1 comment:

Gary said...

My father typed on an old manual Royal typewriter. He was the recording secretary of our congregation, and took copious and meticulous minutes of the meetings for more than 25 years.

When I was a child, I remember falling asleep with that same "clickety-clack" echoing in my ears. I don't recall evidence of "Stenographer Face" in my dad's face.

And, in those day, he did a draft, then a revision, from scratch - no document names, hard disks, or spell checker. Carbon paper was used to make the "back-up" copy.

For the most part, I learned typing on that machine, and it took me through my college papers.

As much as I like my high-tech writing tools, I sometimes miss that "clickety-clack."


P.S. Maybe "noiseless" isn't a good idea - at least the clickety-clack kept everyone awake!