Saturday, March 21, 2009

New Song from UPhold: "Foosebox"

"Foosebox" is another long-dormant song "rescued" from the old eMac. I've spent the last four years working on it, adding things, removing tracks, trying to find the right direction...until I finally realized that the drum sequence I was so proud of actually sort of sucked.

Pulling the drums out (and pretty much everything else) turned this into a multi-part composition in line with the "box" tracks on "Damage." In other words abrupt and obnoxious.

The typewriter is from an old sound effects CD that Eli left lying around CKMS. The single-note bass is from Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" (in the "Spirit of Man" just before the "No, Nathanial" section). The cut up, distorted, four-note blast is a segment from "Drive" by The Cars. I forget where I got the guillotine.

No comments: