Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Johan Bull


From the beginning, Johan Bull has been providing illustrations for The New Yorker. As far as I can gather he started out doing one-panel cartoons, graduated to the "Talk of the Town" pages (drawing tiny icons that didn't do his style justice), and is now (as of January 1928) doing the sports pages. The man can really draw a horse, but he obviously revels in drawing women with long legs who wear sporty hats.

Pardon me for saying this, but I really mean it: I don't know much about art but I know what I like. While his early work mostly consisted of simplified and stylized line drawings, in 1928 he's whole-heartedly doing this negative-highlight watercolour technique which surely has a name.

I can find very little out about Mr. Bull, other than he only seemed to work for The New Yorker and that he (probably) lived from 1893-1945.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a small landscape pen and ink by Johan Bull-24, and was very happy to find your information about him.
Grete B

Unknown said...

He is my great-great uncle. He did many illustrations during the second world war depicting Norway during those times. Often depicting Quisling and the attitude toward the Invading Germans.