Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Moment's Pause

Sometimes, when this blog goes silent for a day or two, it's because I'm stupid and brain dead and I just want to take a seventy-two hour nap.

But at other times -- like this -- it's because I'm working on so many things that I simply don't have the time or brainpower left to explore heavy blog topics (such as the potential fetish appeal of 1920s cruise-line fruit).

What am I doing? I'm glad you asked! Besides the physical/mental logjam that occurs the week before any approaching drag show (it's tomorrow night!) I am also swamped at work (wading into the treacherous waters of DITA), continuously shoveling the sidewalk, finishing off a song that's been in the pipe for more than a year, experimenting with my new hair extensions, and...

...putting together a silly online project that I will link to in a day or two, but which will be of interest only to die-hard devotees of a certain obscure musical group. I mention this not to get you excited -- because I don't think anybody who reads this would be interested in the final product -- but only to explain why I'm so quiet right now.

PS: I'm also watching a DVD collection of pioneering films from the turn of the century, back before anybody realized that a camera could move (unless it was mounted on a train) or that chase scenes didn't HAVE to show every single participant arrive at one edge of the film, cross laboriously across the middle, and exit completely off the opposite edge.

Oh, those simple, child-like directors with their top hats and mustaches! Oh, those sickly-looking infants dressed in oversized doilies! Oh, those insatiable, oat-eating horses! And let's not forget the eight-year-old children working in factories to help buy heroin-laced medicines for their consumptive, coal-mining fathers.

It's no wonder they didn't have time to discover "the close-up."

5 comments:

Eli McIlveen said...

Yeah, it's been kind of a whirlwind here too. I'd have had a lot more to say about recent posts, except I've started a new job, while continuing to finish up at least five freelance projects, prepare for a gig and a recording session, and wouldn't you know it, this week someone lent our household their Rock Band set. There goes everything.

Adam Thornton said...

Yup, I think you're excused, even from explaining all these things on Forgery League. :)

Rock Band set?

Anonymous said...

I've never tried the Rock Band, but all accounts say it's pretty fun.

you kids and your new-fangled "audio-visual games"!

VanillaJ said...

Wait. Why the HELL are you shoveling? You rent!

Adam Thornton said...

The guy hired to shovel the two buildings tends to come very late, and if there's been a big snowfall overnight I don't like thinking of people walking through a big pile of snow. So I shovel it in that case.

And there have been a LOT of big overnight snowfalls.

Plus he seems to have decided to stop shovelling the route to my door, so that's my domain.