Friday, May 28, 2010

"Constipation," Volume II

Fans of yeast will remember that two years ago I printed the words of Parisian Dr. Victor Pauchet, author of that world-famous book "Constipation." That was from the October 16, 1928 issue of The New Yorker.

Lo and behold, here in the August 2, 1930 issue of the very same magazine, we find Dr. Alberto Catalina of Madrid...
...He is the author of an important treatise, "Constipation."
I guess it was a popular title for books at the time. Folks used to be awfully concerned with their bowels, after all.

BONUS FUNNY JOKE

Included here is the testimony of Mrs. Marguerite Falkenburg, who had intestinal trouble until she started eating Fleischman's yeast. Please note the name of her hometown.

2 comments:

Dave Sailer said...

Ok, I just found this, somewhat in the same vein: http://icanhasinternets.com/2010/05/25-horribly-sexist-vintage-ads/

If'n you can use it.

Well, it's new to me anyway. And I kind of like the Mini ad. Not the sentiment, the execution. I never really liked the good old days, many of which I actually lived through.

If that helps.

Adam Thornton said...

I don't believe in the good old days myself, even though I didn't live them. Seems like a whitewash to me!

Except for two things, maybe: there are a lot more people in the world now, and we get our news and culture instantaneously and constantly.

Love the ads! The "Lysol douche" makes me think "chemical burn." It also makes me think "create a demand and sell to it."